Saturday, August 13, 2011

my june playlist.. more than a month late!

Yeah yeah, I know! I've been promising this for a long time now, but through my laziness I've been incredibly busy. I mean, just look where I'm sleeping at the moment!



But anyway! Without any more faffing about, HERE is my June playlist.

Trains - Porcupine Tree
I believe this was something the boyfriend sent to me. It's an easy listen, and kinda feels like something you'd hear in a movie or something you'd put on whilst in your soft-top with the roof down, driving across country. Don't be put off by the album art, or the slow intro.. Wait for the drums to kick in!

Skinny - Pegasus Bridge
June was the month I had the pleasure of seeing these guys live and WOW what a show! But how clever are the lyrics in this? This song is so quirky, but so effortless. Yum is all I can say for now.

While We're Young - Pegasus Bridge
This is a bit more rocky than Skinny, but just as awesome. My heart skips a beat when the guitars kick this bad boy off. Just imagine me singing at the top of my lungs to this, jumping to the beat. Amazing. So sad that they broke up :(

Blitzkreig Bop - Ramones
Don't ever say I don't listen to classic punk rock! I had this on whilst revising for my tech exam at 3 in the morning. The iconic chorus is oddly good at spurring you on.. But c'mon. Do I really have to explain my reasons for loving this?

See The Sun- The Kooks
Doesn't this just make you feel like you're walking through a festival or something? It's kinda really happy too, despite the depressing lyrics.. Just rather cheery! The Kooks are always so cheery, even if its not intentional!

Blood on The Ground - Incubus
Heard this on one of Dev's Metal Mondays on Radio 1, and I suddenly realised what I'd been missing! Anyone else thinking off The Chillies here? His voice just really sounds like Anthony Kiedis! Think of a mash up of RHCP and Alien Ant Farm, and you're almost into the pure awesomeness of this song. Not really metal, but a good headbanger I think!

Air Hostess - Busted
This was the only video I could find, so all the good stuff has been edited out.. But who remembers Top of The Pops?! I used to watch that religiously every Friday! Anyway, this song pretty much sums up my childhood and is the reason for my love of rock. And anyway, everyone loves Busted!

Dancing With Myself - The Donnas
Yes. I know this isn't the orginal, but after the singer from my old band showed me this version, I fell in love and prefer it so much more! It just makes me wanna scream 'GIRL POWER!' and dance with myself!

Swansea - Bombay Bicycle Club
This song is so simple (meaning that even I can play it on guitar!) yet so effortless and beautiful. Its a perfect finish to Flaws, a perfect album. I'm also going to see these guys in October - so excited!

Monster - Paramore
As a Parawhore, when this first came out I was very unsure what I thought of it, but almost felt that I had to love it? Less than a week later I did. Admittedly some of the lyrics are cheesy, and you can really tell that Paramore has had a major change in their members, but it's just a great, powerful song! Paramore is (still) a band! Plus, how awesomely quirky is Hayley's hair?!

My God - Bombay Bicycle Club
I ran out of plays for this on my Spotify very quickly. Words litterally cannot describe my love for this. I'm just so bummed that I couldn't find a tab for it! Marko said that the snare was really annoying, but I think it fits perfectly. Saying that though, I am a drummer! Jack's voice is just so full of emotion and beauty and.. :')

Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Arctic Monkeys
This is from their new album Suck It And See, and this track has been floating around for a while as the first release from it, but with good reason! This made the new album sound really promising for me! Its much more toned down on the punk side from their previous stuff, but I say its a step in the right direction. Just listen to the guitars on that ending!

Mic Check - Hadouken!
I think I've said before that I'm not a massive Hadouken! fan, but after the weird ass intro, I really do like this. The video is a bit odd, but its got a decent beat to it and is definitely a rave song. Can't believe I just said that..

A Town Called Hypocrisy - LostProphets
I recently bought The Betrayed, why I hadn't bought it sooner, I don't know! But I think that this track could easily be one of their best. Its really punchy and everything I look for in a song without it being cheesy. And the video is really awesome!

Gold Blood - Kids In Glass Houses
I weed a little when I first heard this. I have so so so much love for KIGH and this is exactly why! I saw them in November last year, and reallyyyy wanted to see them again this year, but no-one would go with me. I can't see why though. This song is just amazing! They've gone heavier and it's paid off big time!

Swim - Jack's Mannequin
Another song courtesy of Marko. I moan about his music taste, but it's actually not that bad! This makes me think of Owl City and Escape the Fate for some reason? A mash of the two maybe? Or am I thinking of another band? Who knows! All I know is that this is really something special.

The End - Kings of Leon
Now I LOVE Kings of Leon, but I was really disappointed by Come Around Sundown. Its only really got one or two decent tracks on it. This being one of them. Its not like any of their old stuff, but it is very good! This links to a live version, but KOL are such an amazing live band, it doesn't make a difference!

Red Morning Light - Kings of Leon
For a KOL fan, it took me a bloody long time to actually have a copy of this album, and boy was I glad when I did! Their old stuff is pure country gold and Red Morning Light is no exception. There's something about the way that you cannot understand a word that Caleb sings, that really makes me warm inside. Weird, but just take a listen, you'll understand!

MakeDamnSure - Taking Back Sunday (Live from Orensanz)
I've liked this song for a while, and then I found this version. Whoa?! Why have I been missing this for so long?! Taking Back Sunday are another of those bands who crank out some awesome lyrics. Love love love!

Come Alive (War of The Roses) Janelle Monáe
I was watching the Glastonbury coverage when Janelle came on. I was so entranced by her live performance and her presence onstage that I sat and watched the whole set, eventhough I'd never heard of her before in my life! If you think this is awesome, watch the live Glastonbury version. Insanely long, but insanely amazing. This girl will go far.

Cold War - Janelle Monáe
Another from Janelle, but this one you're more likely to recognise as I believe its been released. I love how this is a mix of soul and jazz and swing and pop! Its just.. well. Take a listen! And don't you love how real and bare this video is?


That's it for now, will be around with my even longer July playlist in a day or so. Got lots going on at the mo!
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment